Sunday, July 8, 2012

Mordheim Suppliments: Hired Swords

So in my current campaign I've gotten hired swords for free due to an encampment bonus. Every warband in the campaign gets an encampment with different between game bonuses and disadvantages. Some examples include losing D6x5 gold crowns or getting a free hired sword for one battle. This is nice since most of my gold crowns are still going to equipment instead of warband size and it gives me another character that I don't care if it gets Out of Action.

I've mostly been limited to humanoid hired swords since I don't have many other Mordheim usable models. A lot of the hired swords are very useful and can really pay for themselves every battle. The two hired swords I've fielded most recently (pretty much because they are both in the rule book) is the Warlock and the Elf Ranger. Both have served me well, but I like the warlock a bit more since my Mercenaries are lacking in magic without him and that sword spell is nasty.


Some of the coolest hired swords include the witch who can concoct potions to increase another characters stats (+1 strength is really nice) and she has some very powerful spells that makes me want to take her any chance I can. (hopefully I can bring her in our campaign) The Bard is also very handy since being able to reroll any leadership test within 6" with a +1 to the result which is very nice for things like rout tests and keeping your magic sword up on a magic user.


Another nice hired sword to take would be a halfling scout since he grants +1 warband size so you can get that one extra henchman to run around with. I've also been eyeing an ogre bodyguard as a way to soak up arrows with his three wounds. In most cases your opponent will focus a lot of his / her shooting attacks to the ogre since it can move faster and hit harder then most warband characters (3 attacks with base two + two weapons and movement 6 is deadly) though the possibility of it surviving through a battle goes down a lot with all the ranged attacks that is likely to go into him.

No comments:

Post a Comment