Wednesday, August 15, 2012

1500 Necrons vs Land Raiders

So I had a small game of Warhammer 40,000 today with none of my vehicles or wraiths since I was too lazy to carry my one transport case so I ended up with a bit of a limited selection. I pre-wrote my list with whatever I had and stalked my local Games Workshop in search of a friendly match. I was awarded for my patience with a round vs two land raiders, a land speeder, hammer and shield termies, a vet squad with a apothecary, and two sniper scouts. The game sadly ended before turn 5 but it was fun non the least to finally have a game after so long since I'm either working or driving my mom to doctor appointments on my weekends and of course she wants to do everything under the moon so we don't get back until 8pm.

So my list was something like...
  • Imotek in a squad of 10 warriors
  • Overlord with a Scythe, Weave, Res Orb, and Mind Shackle in a squad of 10 immortals
  • Two squads of 5 warriors with two destruction teks each
  • 8 scarabs in a swarm and 4 destroyers filling up the other Fast attack slot
  • A small 5 man Praetorian squad with void blades
  • And finally a Storm Tek with both upgrades
And his list was...
  • Two land raiders with melta cannons and flamer sconces
  • 8ish man of hammer and shield termies in one raider
  • two sets of five man scouts with snipers
  • a 10ish man of vets with an apothicary in the other raider
  • a land speeder with melta

Turn 1

The game started out as dawn of war deployment with a lot of buildings since we covered about 50% of the board with them. The mission ended up with The Emperors Will which we promptly ignored to just kill each other. I ended up going and deploying first so of course I ran 90% of my army forward to get into range as target priority was a simple "Which land raider can I blow up first!" Sadly I only got four shots with my D-Teks which they sadly failed to glance at all since he castled at the very back of his side. In his turn one he ran both raiders away from my scarabs and destroyer side and shot up my imotek blob taking out half of the warriors. Then his snipers managed to precision shoot and wound Imotek twice while my warriors make 100% of their saves.

Turn 2

So after bringing a warrior back to life I continue to chase his raiders with those lovely Entropic Strikes. Imoteks storms decide to die early to my great dismay, though after entering into ruins with my imotek squad they managed to hit the closest land raider four times and rolled (6,6,6,5) to glance it, so close! None of my other shooting was in range or failed to wound his snipers / raiders. His turn was a bit more profitable as he moved in closer to my weaker flank (Imotek side) by disembarking his shield termies and sniping at them some more. luckily enough for me he didn't figure out how powerful void blades can be against vehicles and moved them into turn three charge range. He was really focused on Imotek but I managed to survive the shooting phase and he rolled poorly for the longish ranged charge with the termies so I got out lucky.

Turn 3

Sadly he got a call that he had to go soon so we had to pick up the pace and end it at the end of turn three. So in the end I decided to just say to hell with it all and ran my troops close enough to get as many shots in as possible in our final turn. The scarabs ran to the base of the snipers tower but failed to charge up it, the destroyers managed to deal a single kill, and the praetorians blew up the closest land raider to them after some gauss took a hull point off and wrecked the other one. It was a beautiful sight seeing two wrecked land raiders on the board and I managed to get first blood to boot!

The Termies of course ran up to Imoteks unit and wrecked face in assault against Imotek and his unit and his vets and snipers wiped out the praetorian squad which ended the game with just a few minutes before his ride showed up and me sulking for a round of Mordheim which I failed to get.

Closing

So In points I achieved two kills, first blood, and line breaker netting me four points while he killed two squads and an IC (My warlord was the Overlord) giving him three points making Necrons the victors. The only thing that saved me from getting a tie was running Imoteks unit out of my deployment zone denying the termies from line breaker. I think the biggest mistake I made was not having a strong enough side near Imotek to better support that unit from having practically his entire army descend upon it. Another mistake involved not having them in cover enough so most of his shooting was focused on them which denied cover on half the squad. If the game continued I bet he would have tore through my lines with those darn termies but with the destroyers decending upon his vets with the scarabs I'm pretty sure I could have wiped them out and then hopefully kill a few termies with three squads worth of shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment