Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Mordheim Introduction

So recently I've gotten into a game called Mordheim thanks to my local Games Workshop where I play another two of their games called Warhammer 40,000 and Lord of the Rings. I'll let others more skilled then I talk about what wargaming is and why it is the bees knees, but I can definitely tell you that it is a fun hobby that gets you to interact with others face to face.

Thanks to my local Games Workshop (The Bowie Bunker) building us a beautiful table with a real working wizard clock tower and started both a Mordheim League and Campaign, it has become quite popular here. There are at least 15~20 people who are actively in the campaign and more in the league so when it is Wednesday or Friday (official Mordheim days here) there gets to be a nice sized line of people ready to play.

The best part about Mordheim too is that it is one of the cheapest Games Workshop games and quickest to get into with its low model count and the rulebook is hosted on GW's website. Average game length is about 30 minutes with another 15 to manage all the campaign post-game setup such as gaining experience, leveling up, and hunting for gold crowns (money). Also you should check out Mordheimer for pretty much all the important stuff about Mordheim in a single spot which includes the unofficial and experimental warbands. Tough sadly Games Workshop has not given Mordheim much love in the last few years our League and Campaign organizers have been tweaking this and that to enhance the experience and balance the different warbands a bit better along with adding more flair. An example they're working on is allowing a goblin in an Orcs and Goblins warband to get "That Lads got Talent" by fighting the warband leader and winning.

Oh yeah, so talking about campaign earlier I'm playing a Reikland Mercenary warband with a Drinking Den (encampment) along the river side on the harbor. So when my encampment is attacked by another warband I'll be defending my booze ship from those varmints who're trying to take me rum! As clarification for anyone who has played Mordheim we get to model a 12" by 12" inch square representation of our encampment to use on the table, and mine is mine will be a boat with a bar on it, because it is awesome. Another guy got a graveyard and is constructing one for his base.

Also for a future note, I'll be making a few posts about what warbands you can make with a single box of Fantasy along with pictures! Also we've got a Necromunda table almost built so expect some more specialty games on here besides 40k (my main game I play besides mordheim at my local Games Workshop).

No comments:

Post a Comment